The Best Ways To Clean & Maintain A Fence
A beautiful and sturdy fence is a worthy investment for your property. The right choice can add value, protection, and style to your home. It is essential to learn how to care correctly for your investment. Cleaning and maintaining your fence will ensure it lives a long life and that you get your money’s worth! Here are a few simple tips to maximize the durability of your fence:
Keep it Clean
First things first, don’t let it get too dirty. With just a little effort, once or twice a year, you can rid your fence of various environmental factors that can damage it. For a mildew-free fence, clean it regularly!
- Let the wood soak for a few hours with soap and water or a specifically formulated fence cleaner.
- You can use a long cleaning brush or a pressure washer. The pressure washer should be rated 1500 – 2000 PSI.
- Stand 2-3 feet away from the fence as you power wash.
The following are two simple suggestions that will prevent problems in the future:
- Make sure your greenery, vines, and bushes aren’t weighing down the fence. These seemingly harmless plant’s weight can cause damage and attract moisture and insects to your fence.
- Move the sprinklers away from the fence! Water from sprinklers may discolor the wood, and the extra moisture will increase the chances of rot.
Catch Issues Early
Every few months or so, walk along your fence line to inspect it.
- Check pickets for loose nails and hammer them back in or replace them.
- Look for rotting or broken pickets that might need replacing.
- Look for any damage caused by wildlife or insects.
- Ensure posts are securely in the ground, and that soil has not washed away.
Know when to Re-Seal
A simple way to check if your fence needs to be re-sealed is to look at it after a rain storm. When water starts to be absorbed by the wood, rather than beading up on the outside, it’s time to paint, re-stain, or re-seal.
- Thoroughly clean.
- Allow the fence to completely dry.
- Re-stain, paint, or re-seal with brushes and rollers.
If good old elbow grease can’t scrub your fence clean, you may be ready for a replacement. At Mossy Oak Fence, our fence professionals will install a quality wood fence that you’ll be proud to show off. Serving the Greater Orlando and Central Florida areas, we are pleased to be your choice for custom fence designs and solutions. Give us a call today! (407) 972-0726.